On teaching (the ukulele)

DSC01767

(A short meditation on teaching, and talent, and the ukulele)

On teaching the ukulele

It has been said: those
who can, do; those who can’t, teach.
It sounds quite clever,

because, like all lies,
it has a kernel of truth.
But could it not be

said with equal force
that those who can, teach;
those unable to

relate to people
those trapped in brilliant minds
in supple bodies

blessed with absurdly
beautiful voices, they don’t.
They just do things, but

they can’t tell you how.
Give me a ukulele and a kid
and I’ll change the world.

To share with friends over at the wonderful dVerse Poets’ Pub.

About these ads

About Andrew Kreider

I'm a poet and musician,transplanted from London, England to beautiful northern Indiana. By day I am a stay-at-home dad with our three kids while my amazingly talented spouse conquers medical school one long shift at a time. At night, I'm a performer and trouble-maker. I love my life.

6 responses »

1. ha. yes it can….there are those that do, but dont give a damn about anyone else…or are not confident enough to briush fingers with another…they do, but dont…smiles…nice.

2. Oh Andrew! Music is a world changer, in so many ways!! I love this, thank you for the smile and sigh of happiness :-)

3. Your passion comes out in this poem & it’s refreshing to read. A close friend used to send me videos of her playing the ukulele for me so I smile at the sound of one.

4. Perfect. I love it! The ukulele is so underrated, so much fun to play! :-)

5. A teacher has to be able to reach the student before the student can learn anything from them. Definitely an art to it that not all possess. Nice write, and I love that ukelele!

6. Lovely. Very uplifting – you’ve left me smiling, and that’s wonderful.